Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Camping (cooking, eating and etc.)

It is necessary to eat. We live to eat or eat to live. While away from
home camping, eating is fun. Even cooking is fun at times.

In 2007 I bought a cooker set from Trangia. It is a set of 2 pans, a frypan
and the alcohol burner with a windshield. It worked fine. I used it
during Critérium du Dauphiné Libéré and Tour de France in 2007.

This distilled alcohol (Spiritus or Brennspiritus in German, Alcool a bruler in French)
is easy to locate (at supermarkets) and not expensive.

Cooking at camping sites beside the tent was fun. I could prepare my lunch
while waiting for the race to pass at the feed zone. I prepared a meal on top
of le Mont Ventoux. Even under that extreme condition (that incessant strong wind),
Trangia worked perfectly. I am now convinced that Trangia is the right choice.

Trangia works fine. It is, however, not optimal if you just want to drink a cup of hot
coffee because of the assembly hustle. I obtained the JetBoil personal cooking system.
In 2008, this item will accompany me along with the Trangia.

On the other hand, shopping for food was not so much fun. I was always
pressed for time. Following a stage race is a stop and go situation. Occasional
shopping was necessary, of course. Shopping is time consuming.

It has something to do with the l'autoroute (motorway, highway) in France.
It is a toll way and you have to pay as you go.
In Germany driving on the highway (Autobahn) is free, at least you
don't pay at the toll gate each time. In Switzerland you purchase a vignette,
a sticker that shows that you have paid the yearly toll. In Austria
I always bought a vignette valid for 10 days.

Since driving on the highway costs, I avoided the l'autoroute in France when
possible.
There are huge supermarket chains in France like Carrefour, Géant or E.Leclerc.
They call those supermarkets "hypermarché". I realized that finding
these supermarkets as quickly as possible was essential. So this year
I already plotted those supermarkets along the TdF 2008 parcours
as waypoints in my Garmin StreetPilot.

No comments: