Tuesday, April 3, 2007

Criterium International Part V

They had flown to Luxembourg Friday and drove here in a rental car.
They saw the opening stage the previous day. Unfortunately it rained
on Saturday and they got soaked. That was what they told me.

They had already started setting up their banner and the flags  just in
front of the podium, about 15m after the finish. I also had some items,
namely, the national flags of Germany, Argentine, Luxembourg, 
Denmark and USA.

Sometime later, I noticed a group of people standing behind us with that
much coveted "the red lion" flags, big ones and small ones. I immediately
knew they were Schleck fan club members, I mean, who else? Some of 
them had a polo shirt (it looked like) with the "Andy & Frank Schleck 
fan club" logo.

I greeted them and they looked at the decoration we made. I asked the
gentleman where I could get one of those flags. I told him that I had
been looking for those and all I could get was the normal national flag
of Luxembourg. I pointed at the big national flags of mine. Then he
suggested I could have one of the small flags. Wow!! I got the red lion
flag from Schleck brothers' fan club members. I thanked him. Then
he said to us that the lady standing behind him was Schleck brothers'
mother. Wow!! We shook hands.

The race went on. When Alexandre Vinokourov finished with an
impressive time, I thought he would take this stage. When our Bobby
Julich renewed the record, I thought he would win. The last 15 (or so)
riders really excited the spectators. They were flying and the suspense
was definitely there. Andreas Klöden was also good and I was a bit
worried that something bad like a flat might take Jens' victory away.
When Sylvain Chavanel came in with an awesome time the French
spectators were overwhelmingly elated. But not for long. Alejandro
Valverde and Thomas Lövkvist came in with a smashing time.

And finally our Jens Voigt came home with a comfortable lead enough
to secure his overall victory. I think that I was the only one who came 
with the German flag.

So ended my race watch day. I had 370km to drive home from
Charleville-Mézières.

During the ITT, we noticed that JJ Haedo abandoned the final ITT.
He crashed the previous day and we guessed he could do away with
the small stage to prepare for the bigger win like Rund um Köln on
Easter Monday. I will be there so I wish you a quick recovery, JJ.

The pictures will be posted sometime later. My priority is to plan for
the Ronde van Vlaanderen and Rund um Köln.

Lastly, I thank "Andy & Frank Schleck fan club" for their generosity
to give me the flag. I will take that red lion anywhere I go to see the
Schleck brothers.

No comments: