Tuesday, April 10, 2007

Ronde van Vlaanderen Part VII

I gave up the hope of having Team CSC riders autograph my sweater
and decided to move on to the next watch spot, feedzone. It was close
to the start time. As I was coming back to my car, I managed to take
pictures of some of Team CSC riders riding that connecting path.

I think I left the parking just around the starting time. There were
many cars rashing to the exit. Most likely those people were also
trying to go to other places to watch the race.

I pulled up at the first gas station on the highway on my way to the
first feedzone. There were team busses of Credit AgricoleLiquigas
and one other team (I don't remember but I think it was FDJ). 
Some other team cars were also there to fill up. I think there
were Quickstep cars and others.

I was about to fill up when a Team CSC van queued up after 
me. The dirver came out and we shook hands as he knew
immediately that I was Team CSC fan as I had Team CSC podium
cap and Team CSC retro sweater. After paying for the gas, I said
"See you later" and left. We actually saw each other later at the 
feedzone.

Oh, at the cashier, the French speaking woman (who also spoke
English, of course) gave me a small egg-shaped chocolate and said,
"Happy Easter".

At the first feedzone, I had a pleasant meeting with Team CSC
staff and one of Skil-Shimano soigeurs. I first met this Skil-Shimano
soigeur at Giro Bochum in 2006. I talked to him because that day
some Japanese riders were there and I wanted to ask about them.
(Have I ever mention that I am Japanese?) Anyway, since then
we kept seeing each other and exchanging news. He was at
Kuurne-Brussel-Kuurne, too.

I took out my bike and took a ride. It was sunny and warm if not hot
by then. I like showing off my bike. I like talking to other people at 
race events. And the bike (almost like Team CSC issue) and the
Team CSC jersey make it easier for other people to talk to me.

That day, I had a pleasant talk with many people. One man wanted
to take a ride on my bike and did. This man also told me that moving
to one place to another in this area was not so easy as the police would
cut the traffic unexpectedly when the race came to pass. He and his
friends were to go to Oude Kwaremont after Feedzone 1 but had to 
take a long diversion not to be stuck on their way there in time.

In fact, I was stuck along with hundreds of cars for about 40 minutes
or so on my way to the Feedzone 2 near Oudenaarde as the race
came to pass that section. I took out my portable LCD TV (DVB-T) 
and watched the race with other people.

I arrived at the Feedzone 2 perhaps 40 minutes before the ETA. 
I was standing at a couple of hundred meters before Mariaborrestraat
to where the race would take a turn. I got a sacoche from Skil Shimano
and Chocolade Jacques. There were some leftovers in the bag, most of
which I ate on my way to Ninove.

I rode on to Ninove immediately after the road was cleared. I managed
to arrive at the Ninove ahead of the race but had trouble finding the 
place to park. By the time I reached the crowded finish area, the race
was over. Well, it did not go as planned.

Driving to Ninove, I ran into the road brocades and had to make detours.
Garmin StreetPilot knew, somewhat to my surprise, those narrow paths
cutting through the Belgian countyside.

I was riding back to my car (on my bike) when I saw Nicole Cooke
walking with a bottle of Champaigne, half empty, accompanied by a man,
supposedly a soigneur, in a white jersey signifying her World Cup standing.
I congratulated her and she said, "Well, thank you".

It did not go well as planned. The security was too tight around the riders.
I should have planned to watch the race at some climbs with cobblestones.

If I was to return to Ronde van Vlaanderen next year, I would plan
something other than what I did this year. I will probably, most likely
not drive to Brugge, where you can see nothing special.

No comments: