Wednesday, April 18, 2007

Liège - Bastogne - Liège Part I

I did Liège - Bastogne - Liège last year and will do this year, too. 
Liège is not too far away from my city.

The parcours is simple; it starts in Liège,  goes to Bastogne and then 
comes back to Liège. There is a highway connecting Liège and Bastogne
so the driving to Bastogne is quick.  I can easily visit the first
ravitalleiment. Then I would head to either the second ravitalleiment or
another place near the highway. In the end I will drive back to Ans to
see the finish. With the help of my Garmin StreetPilot C510 Deluxe, 
I can move quickly and effectively through the area I don't really
know much about.

There was a big screen before the goal where the course takes the last
turn and the last climb ends about 200m? before the finish. The 
weather was nice last year. It was hot. Ice cream vendors were
making a good profit in the goal area.

I arrived at the goal well before the race and could ride the last climb
freely. I thought to myself, "after riding so much in this hot weather
and riders have to rush up this climb? It's insane!" If you take a look 
at the picture of the finish which shows Alejandro Valverde who won,
you can see that look on other riders' faces in the back. They are
suffering.

Today, I received a delivery from Danmark. It was a package
containing Team CSC kit. I will wear these at Amstel Gold Race,
LBL and the rest of the season and have them autographed.

No comments: