Friday, August 10, 2007

Tour de France 2007: The rest days

After Stage 8, I drove to a camping site and checked in. It was a rest
day for the riders but NOT for fans like me.

This year, the two rest days were set after two mountain stages and
before yet another mountain stage. I think it is a great idea NOT to
have three consecutive mountain stages. I don't know whether riders
appreciated or not. We just want to watch a bicycle race. Three
consecutive mountain stages scheme is OUT. 

This rest day arrangement presented a problem for fans like me. 
There was no rest day for me because I have to drive to that mountain 
on the rest day BEFORE the road was closed for the public. 

Last year, I used the rest day at a camping site to do some laundry,
rest and relax. This year there was no way I could do some laundry.

Fact:
The road leading to the summit (high mountains) gets closed
at its foot (for safety reasons, I guess; too many cars along the
route pose a great threat to riders and spectators alike)
sometime in the evening one day before the stage is held
when too many campers and cars are expected.

On the other hand, le Mont Ventoux (Critérium du Dauphiné Libéré)
was open to the public until sometime in the morning of the race day.
I arrived at the village at the foot of le Mont Ventoux around 4:00 AM
of the race day, I think, but nobody stopped me. There were many
dedicated fans with cars or campers but there were no real
congest ions in along the course.

I arrived at Le Reposoir around 22:00 of July 13th. The road was
closed. Later I learned it had been closed 18:00 or so. Le Reposoir
is at the foot of Col de la Colombière.

To make sure that you are at the right spot with the parking place
up in the mountains, you have to be there early. The earlier, the better.

I can take my bike to get to the summit but I have to carry a load of
paint, water and other stuff with me.

The first rest day, July 16th, I checked out a camping site early in the 
morning (7:30 AM) and did some quick shopping before driving to Col
du Galibier. I passed the control point (where the traffic was to be
cut off later in the afternoon) around 10:00 AM. The race was to
arrive "one day and 6 hours" later.

Later, in the afternoon of 16th, an American couple asked me 
when the race would arrive. They did not know what to expect. When 
I told them about the race schedule, they decided to leave.

The second rest day, July 24th, I was already on top of Col d'Abisque.
I had arrived there in the evening of 23rd. I was to spend two nights
there. Not surprisingly, I was among so many people (majority of
them had Basque flags with them) during the whole time.

Next year, if I was to follow many TdF stages, I would like to
have a simple camp shower equipment and a power generator.

No comments: