Sunday, March 25, 2007

Camping in France (and other countries)

Camping in France! I love it. According to some guide books, there are 
about 8,000 camping sites in France. In 2006 I visited 4 sites. 

  1. "Camping France" by Michelin (www.ViaMichelin.fr)
  2.  "Campingfuehrer Deutschland /Europa" by ECC (Europa Camping + Caravaning www.ecc-campingfuehrer.de/)
The word "camping" means in both French and German what it 
means in English, I guess. I had never realized camping was so
convenient and practical until 2006 when I travelled in France
to follow "Tour de France". 

I camped out at places not designated for camping. People just 
put out their tents wherever (along the parcours of the TdF stages)
they wanted. I joined them. I guessed, at that time, that the police 
turned a blind eye to those campers during TdF as long as they 
did not disturb the local community.

I talked to people who also chased the Tour and they told me 
that the police helped them find the place to put out their tents 
where usually camping is not allowed. I can not say that this is 
always the case with the police and campers outside designated 
camping sites.

Staying at camping sites is very reasonable (or at least cheaper)
than staying at hotels. I am not sure if staying at camping sites
is more fun than staying at YMCA (you know, the Village People),
though.

They have at least restrooms with running water, hot showers
and most importantly, security. All you need is a tent, sleeping 
bag and a cooker of some kind to boil water for a cup of coffee.

I purchased Garmin StreetPilot C510 Deluxe December 2006. 
And I love it. Driving to unknown locations via unknown route 
has never been so easy.

No comments: