Wednesday, March 28, 2007

Watching the race on TV while not home

Waiting for the race to come in the mountains is not so exciting. Some
people bring a TV set with a satellite receiver. I recognized this back in
2005. Those who drove up into the mountains in their camping cars often 
had a TV set with a satellite receiver.

This mobile satellite receiver had been on my mind for a while before I
bought one on my own August 2006. I had this receiver with my while 
following Tour of Germany but never used it because I did not have
the time to set it up. In fact, I have never seen a satellite broadcasting
with this equipment.

When not up in the mountains (in cities and suburbs), the usual
terrestrial broadcasting can be received, analog or digital.
So called DVB has been in use for a while in Europe. I thought having
a mini LCD TV receiver with a battery might be great. I am going to
get one sometime soon.

There is this incident that has been on my mind since Amstel Gold Race
2006. I was standing on the road side where I thought the riders would
throw the sacoche away about 1km after the Team CSC's team car. I did 
get a sacoche that day from Michael Blaudzun. However, the incident I am
describing is something else.

There were houses on the opposite side of the street. I was standing with
my back to the woods. The house directly in front of me had a big 
glass-paned window with no blinds or curtains down. I could see the living
room. I was not peeping. A couple, middle aged, were sitting in a couch
and watching TV; Amstel Gold Race was being broadcast. I peeked at the
screen sometimes in a distance. I could see the riders were approaching
as the TV program showed the riders struggling that Cauberg climb and 
as the helicopters were approaching. The woman, his wife, stood up  and
peered outside through the window while the husband sat in the couch
with his back to me. People came out of their houses to cheer for the
riders. The man never stood up nor looked back. He was glued to the
TV all the time. He could see his own house in the screen, I guess. 
Perhaps he saw himself most likely his own shoulders.

I will turn off the TV before the race comes! If watching the race on TV
were what I want, I would stay home and save money.

No comments: