Friday, March 9, 2007

Paris-Nice Part II


Alexandr Kolobnev, who was to win a stage the next day. A lot of fan came up to him with autograph cards with his picture in Rabobank jersey.

A typical preparation for a one-day race watch.
  1. Download the race info from its official web site (Parcours, Time table and etc)
  2. Inspect the time table and decide where and what to watch
  3. Work on the GPS map on the PC to mark the important places as waypoints and transfer them to the GPS navigation system
  4. Stock up (food and drinks that I consume behind the wheel)
  5. Set up my bike as "race watch" spec. (Zipp wheels etc.)
  6. Fill the car up and load the car with the above
A typical equipment set for a race watch.
  • Felt-tipped pens (to autograph with)
  • Team jersey (to have them autographed)
  • The Bike (for increased mobility)
  • A Digital Camera
  • Other cheering goods (National flags etc.)
For Paris-Nice (I can only watch the prologue in Paris), I have completed Step 5 by Friday and Saturday 10th March I will complete Step 6. This is a standard procedure for one-day race watch.

For stage races like Tour de France or Tour of Germany, where I stay overnight for more than two nights, the procedure is more complicated. It involves finding the place to sleep.

In 2006 I followed Tour de France prologue to stage 2 and stage 13 to 20. The first stages took place in Strasbourg (and its neighboring area) and I could travel to Strasbourg by train. Every day I went there and came home by train. DB (Deutsche Bahn) discount tickets are available. The tickets that I used were valid within Germany, 
namely up to the border station "Kehl". I could pay a little bit to ride to Strasbourg. 
Strasbourg is the second stop from there. So, I rode my bike to get to Strasbourg from Kehl.

There is a bridge (Franch name Pont de L'Europe and German name Europabrücke) over the Rhein a couple hundred meters from the train station. 
There is the border line between the two countries in the middle of the bridge. 

Within Germany you are required to pay for the bicycle tickets. Yes, carrying your bicycle with you on a train costs you unless you dismount the bicycle and pack it in a bag. Within France you don't have to pay for the bicycle if you have a valid ticket for the train.



No comments: