Monday, March 19, 2007

Ronde van Vlaanderen

I am planning to see Ronde van Vlaanderen, or Tour of Flanders, on 8th
April. The first challenge is driving to Brugge to see the start. It is far away.
Secondly, there are so many good places to watch the race where I would
like to be in so little time.

Since the race is known for its tough climbs with cobble stones, I would 
like to see the riders in action there. On the other hand, I like Feed
Zones (ravitalleiment, bevoorrading, Verpflegung) for obvious reasons.

Accoring to the materials available at the official site, those two feed 
zones are only 11km apart. I might find a way to see them both and
quickly drive to the goal (Ninove). Perhaps parking the car in the
midway between those two places and moving on my bike between
them could be possible if the weather permits. Since at the start 
before the race I will meet the Team CSC riders and staff, going
to see the goal is not so essential. The goal will be so crowded that
I may not see the riders at all. 

Mobility is the key. I might buy a rear door mount bike rack for my car.
That way, I can mount and dismount my bike much quicker (than
removing and mounting the wheels and putting the bike in the car).

Thule Freeway 968 would be my choice. Oddly enough, this model is
not sold in Germany. I can buy them via Internet from other European
countries. It is sold in Frace, UK or Poland but why not in Germany?

No comments: