Tuesday, March 27, 2007

Painting the road

Camping is the economical way of staying in France (and other
countries). No doubt. It is cheaper than staying at hotels. However, 
the cost is not the only reason that makes camping the better way of 
finding to place to sleep when chasing Tour de France.

In the mountains, camping (putting out a tent or sleeping in a camping
car) is the only way to find lodging. As so many people show up and stand 
along the course to watch the riders climb and suffer, you may want to 
get there first and reserve the best spot you can find before others
show up. Getting there and staying there gives you an edge. 
Getting there earlier than others means something else, too.

This year, I am planning to stay on top of Col du Galibier and Col
d'Aubisque and probably other places in the mountain.

In 2006, I could not do something that I wanted to do althoug I prepared
for. That is painting the road. I took a paint can and some brushes in
the car but never had the time to do painting. I even made a template 
for the CSC logo before leaving for France. I realized that to make time 
for painting camping out there the night before was mandatory.

This year, I paint the "CSC" logo in that red and riders names.

No comments: