Tuesday, March 27, 2007

Tour of Cologne

Or Rund um Köln

This event is held on Easter Monday. Three years ago (2004), I was in
Cologne. At that time I went there by train and stayed all day at the
goal. Back then, I did not have a road racer. Four months later I bought
Cervélo.

I think it was the first time I actually watched a road race. 
(I came to Germany at the end of September 2003)

This year I plan to go watch Rund um Köln on my way back home from
Ronde van Vlaanderen. Two races in two consecutive days. Convenient!

I did this in 2006 when I saw Rund um die Hainleite (Erfurt) and Giro
Bochum (Bochum). This year I may be able to see only Giro Bochum.

Team CSC's official site has announced the participating riders. My guess
was some of the riders from RVV might come to this race.

I was dead wrong! I was an ass! What was I thinking? Riding RVV is
hard enough and riders need a good rest. 

Well, good thing is I will be able to see Kurt-Asle Arvesen,
Matthew Goss and Chris Anker Sørensen for the first time this year.
In fact,  I will see Goss and Sørensen for the first time ever!

I have already loaded a camping site, I plan to stay, near the start
(Leverkusen) in my GPS. Later I have to figure out the best route
to do the 3-point watch (Start, Feed Zone and Goal).

3-point watch is a term concocted by me. I don't know the proper way 
to express it. Basically, it mean watching a race at the start and goal and
an additional point of space during the race. This additional point is
Feed Zone for me because you can expect to see the soigneurs there and
you can sometimes get some souvenirs.

Normally, 3-point watch is only feasible when the race is held in
an area where motorways are dense. It is almost impossible to do 
this


No comments: