Thursday, March 15, 2007

Paris-Nice part IV


Alejandro's Tool case. A real pro's work place.

It is the autograph time! Riders came and got their TT bike to make the practice rounds. TT stage is not the most optimal occasion for a fan to beg for an autograph. 
Before the TT, some riders, who want to take the staeg, prepare themselves for the stage; and the preparation often requires concentration, thus the riders avoids any distraction. 

I respect that and try not to disturb those riders. Then it is hard to get their autograph. It is also
difficult to get their attention when riders shut themselves behind the tape and ride the trainer.

But this Paris-Nice prologue is differnet. Because the TT course is so short and consequently the riders spend most of the time riding the actual course. They come out of the taped area. Plus, the weather was fine that day. Who is not in a better mood?

I got Christian Vande Velde, Alexandr Kolobnev, Andy Schleck and Bijarne Riis to autograph my CSC retro sweater. In the process Christian commented, "You are ruining a fine sweater." Well, it is not 100% accurate words but he said something like that and I said, "Not. It is for that purpose."

I had already had Kasper Klostergaar and Luke Roberts at Kuurne-Brussel-Kuurne the previous week. 
I had three more to get, namely Bobby Julich, Dave Zabriske and Frank Schleck. 

I new the course from last year's visit and I also made the morning rounds. The sharp turn in the middle of the ascent was the place I chose to stay to watch the race. 

I have "stuff" in my car. Some national flags, 
Ukrane (Volodymir Gustov), 
Holland (Karsten Kroon), 
Sweden (Marcus Ljungqvist), 
Norway (Kurt-Asle Arvesen), 
Germany (Jens Voigt), 
Australia(Luke Roberts, Stuart O'Grady, Matthew Goss),
U.S.A (Christian Vande Velde, David Zabriske, Bobby Julich),
Spain (Carlos Sastre, Iñigo Cuesta),
Switzerland (Fabian Cancellara),
Danmark (Lars Bak, Michael Blaudzun, Matti Breschel, Allan Johansen, Kasper Klostergaard, Anders Lund, Lars Michaelsen, Martin Pedersen, Chris Anker Sørensen, Nicki Sørensen). 

I am missing the Russian flag for Alexandr Kolobnev, Argentine flag for Juan José Haedo and Luxembourg flag for Andy and Frank Schleck.

No comments: