Wednesday, March 21, 2007

Ronde van Vlaanderen Part II

One thing came to mind after reading the previous posting again. Fabian
Cancellara, ITT World Champ, said that he would like to win Ronde van
Vlaanderen in 2007 in some interview. He added, something like, that
defending the Paris-Roubaix title would be great but winning RVV 
would be great, too since he had not done it. I do not recall where
I read this nor his exact comment. I know that Fabian Cancellara
wants to win RVV.

Anyway, 1st October 2006 at  Züri Metzgete in Zurich, I had a
surprise meeing with special people. I was at the Feed Zone near Team
CSC's team cars with my Cervelo in Team CSC team kit when a man
called to me and beckoned to me saying, "Cyclista! Kom!"
(This may not be the exact words he emitted but this was
what I thought I heard)

I thought he was drunk and that he wanted to make fun of me or 
something. As he kept beckoning to me, I had to come to him. 
He looked like Sean Connery, I thought. I tentatively and very
politely greeted him. It turned out that he was sober and was a gentleman.

He seemed to be interested in my jersey at first. We talked for a
while about my Team CSC jersey filled with Team CSC riders' autograph.
Then he asked if I had Fabian Cancellara's autograph. I had had him
autograph my jersey just a while ago. (Getting his autograph was
not so easy. I failed in Bern-TdS and in Hamburg-Vattenfall and
perhaps more?)
I pointed at my prized souvenir. He produced an 
autographed postcard and introduced himself and his wife. 
They were Papa and Mama Cancellara. We talked on but my German
was not good. He was a very funny man. As we waited for him to pass by, 
he took out his cell phone and said if he should call his son to say,
"Schnell! Schnell, Fabian!" (German for "Quick")

I knew Fabian Cancellara was from Bern (capital of Switzerland). His
parents could come to Zurich in an hour or so.

Long story short. We, kinda, promised to see again in 2007 at Paris-
Roubaix or somewhere where Fabian Cancellara would be in action.

So, they might be at the goal in Ninove waiting for their son to come
first. So I had to go see the goal if Cancellara participates in RVV to 
look for his parents.  So much to do!

No comments: